Doing Business in Spain – Business Lunch Protocol
1. Be on time. Regardless of what you might have heard about Southern European customs, Spaniards are punctual (at the least as punctual as visitors snarls allow). For those who arrive first, both wait within the bar or ask for the desk that has been reserved.
2. Lunch hardly ever begins earlier than 2:30 p.m. Spain runs on a special schedule than the remainder of Europe. Most Spaniards start the day with a light-weight continental breakfast on the way in which to work, take a break at 11 a.m. for espresso, have lunch at 2:30 p.m. after which dine at 9:30 p.m. or later. A enterprise lunch will take at the least an hour and a half, and two and a half hours just isn’t uncommon.
three. A luncheon is a social event first, a enterprise occasion second. Private relationships are essential. The Spanish govt will need to get to know and belief the particular person with whom he could do nacionalidades europeas enterprise. Lunch is his alternative for getting higher acquainted with you. Acceptable conversations embrace sports activities, journey, household, holidays, politics and previous associates.
four. Your company can be impressed when you choose an applicable restaurant. Spaniards prefer to be seen by and see folks they know.
5. Most meals are accompanied by wine. Spaniards like their glorious home reds (vino tinto) a lot that they’ll drink them with not solely meat, but in addition the standard white wine dishes of fish and fowl. In a effective restaurant, you possibly can hardly ever go improper by asking for the vino de la casa or the headwaiter’s suggestion.
6. Fingers must be saved above the desk always, if obligatory resting the forearms on the desk edge. Spanish moms reprimand their youngsters if each palms should not in view: “What are you hiding in that different hand?” This suspicion dates again to the times of swords, daggers and courtly plots.
7. When enterprise does come up (and it’s best to attend for the Spaniard to lift it), speak rules. Don’t pull spreadsheets or stories out of your briefcase, begin drawing calculations on the serviette, or press on money-related topics.
eight. If you’re the host, sign discretely for the invoice (la cuenta) after the espresso has been served and liquors provided. The waiter won’t ever carry the invoice to you unasked, however he can be immediate after you have performed so.
9. Your enterprise lunch could seem to finish with nothing greater than heat thanks and a promise to observe up, however anticipate outcomes. Most Spaniards can be in contact the next day with a confirming letter, a request for these spreadsheets or paperwork you did not pull out on the desk, or they’ll have a member of their employees contact you or your employees. Be conscientious about something you have got promised.